The results of the 2011 Parent Surveys are in. In response to your requests we have scheduled several workshops to provide you with the information you wanted to assist your children academically. According to the results the following areas were identified as workshops that would help you as parents/guardians help your child:
Improve my child's reading and math skills
Improve my child's success with science and social studies
Learn more about the school curriculum
Help my child with reports and projects
Learn how to use the computer to access information about my child
1. Succeeding in Reading and Math--November 2, 2011 1:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. This workshop will be facilitated by Union's Literacy Coach, Margaret Carr, and Union teachers Wendy Meeks (1st GR) and Valerie Flagg (4th GR). Mrs. Carr will provide tips and strategies for reading and Mrs. Meeks and Mrs. Flagg will provide strategies to help your children with math. The material will be presented in the morning and again in the evening for parents who are at work during the day.
2. How to Help Your Child Improve in Social Studies--November 10, 2011 1:00 p.m. The District's Social Studies Coordinator Tandi Pressley will conduct this workshop and provide parents with strategies to assist parents with helping their child with social studies.
3. How to Use the Computer to Monitor Your Child's Performance--November 17, 2011 10:00 a.m. Union's Technolgy Specialist Linda Coger will provide training on how to use the computer to monitor your child's attendance, grades, and discipline records. Additionally, an overview of SkillsTutor (a web-based math/rdg curriculum available to Union students) and the states Online Assessment System (OAS) will be provided.
4. A Night with the Stars--December 1, 2011 6:00 p.m. This workshop will provide more information about the school's curriculum. Small group sessions will be held to familiarize parents with information about the upcoming Common Core Georgia Performance Standards, as well as accompanying learning expectations and outcomes.
5. Research for Reports and Projects--December 13, 2011 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Union's Media Specialist Debbie Allen and Technology Specialist Linda Coger will show parents how they can use the internet to assist students with research reports and projects. The workshop will take place during the school day and will be repeated in the evening for parents unable to make the morning workshop.